There are many different things to take into consideration when shopping for a rug for your home – what size will work best, what , is it worth spending the money? The right rug can pull a room together and act as the perfect finishing touch, while the wrong one can make a room feel awkward or look like an after thought. We don’t want the latter! So, here are some tips to take into consideration when you’re ready to start shopping for that perfect rug.
1. Size – First and foremost, don’t skimp on size. Choosing a rug that is too small for the space will just make your room look smaller. In a Living Room, your rug lays the foundation for the conversation area, you want it to support the furniture around it. No floating carpets here!
Sophie Paterson Interiors (Instagram)
2. Rug Pad – Don’t let this be an afterthought. A rug pad not only offers protection against slipping and damaging your floors, but also adds a layer of comfort underfoot – especially to flat weave rugs.
3. Statement – A rug is so much more than a space filler or sound embracer, take this as an opportunity add a pop of color or punch of pattern to your room. Function can be fun too! (Bonus Tip: The pattern need not match everything in the room, focus on the color tones in the design and coordinate those with the colors in your artwork, accessories or fabrics.)
Terra Palmer Designs (Instagram)
4. Texture – When it comes to choosing a rug, the role of texture can play just as big of a part as color and design. If you want to keep it simple by avoiding bold colors and patterns but you still want your rug to stand out, choose a contrasting texture your flooring and other finishes. Leather sofa? Think fuller and thicker pile. Soft and warm upholstered seating? Consider a sisal or flat weave.
Luxe Magazine – Designer: Katy Allen and Rick Hermes
5. Investment – Your rug is undoubtedly going to be receiving a lot of foot traffic, so make sure you choose one that will stand the test of time. Don’t forget to include this vital addition into your overall budget – it’s worth a little investment!